|Frenzel Tube Amplifiers
Custom Built To Order Vintage Hand-Wired Tube Amps
Made in America -"Designed To Last For Generations" - Since 1952
|FM-5E3 DP "Deluxe Plus"
Best Seller - Small In Size - Huge In Tone!
Features & Specifications
Model: Deluxe Plus
Model No: FM-5E3DP
The FRENZEL "Deluxe Plus" was "INSPIRED" by the 50's Fender Deluxe 5E3...but it is a much more than a clone. The Deluxe Plus has two separate preamps, one voiced like the Fender Deluxe and one voiced like the Marshall Plexi. We replaced the 6V6's in the original Deluxe output stage with 6L6's and boosted the power to 25 watts. The power output transformer is a custom heavy duty extended range type designed to produce with crystal clarity all the high, mid, bass tones...plus the harmonics that your instrument creates. The voice is contoured by a modified Bassman style three band tone stack accentuated with a modified Presence control equipped with an "Edge" pull-switch to contour the negative feedback for dynamic soaring leads. We also added a Master control which allows you to control and shape the preamp and output stage overdrive tones. The F and M channels have separate input jacks and gain controls which allows you to use an AB/Y switch to select one channel for Clean and one for Boost...or blend them together for your own unique tones. When playing clean, this amp will faithfully reproduce what you put into it ...and when you stomp on it,..it will produce tones you have never heard before! It works great with guitar, mandolin, bass, organ, piano, harp and strings. Think of it as a 5E3 on steroids! See features list below.
- Input Jacks isolated from chassis for low noise, eddy currents, and hum.
- DC on filaments for low 60 hz hum.
- Star ground system to reduce induced current chassis noise.
- Type F (Fender) and Type M (Marshall) inputs with separate preamps and Gain controls for the smooth Fender warm blues tones or the Marshall Plexi high-mid dynamic rock tones. You can use an AB-Y switch to select either channel or blend them together to create your own unique tones.
- Classic Fender Bassman 5F6 style 3-BAND TONE STACK for extended flexibility in shaping your tone.
- MASTER level control so you can crank the GAIN's up and overdrive the preamp without overdriving the output tubes.
- Classic Fender Bassman Style Presence control for dynamic treble punch!
- Unique "Edge" pull-switch on the PRESENCE control that transforms the power amp section into a No-Negative-FeedBack style amp for more open, less compressed tones.
- Post output transformer LINE OUT with LINE OUT LEVEL control for recording or driving a PA system or a higher power amp, . Has an auto switching internal load if speaker is not connected to give you loaded output distortion.
- Class AB cathode biased 6L6's in the output in place of the original Deluxe 6V6's to give you more power and headroom. The bias is optimized using FRENZEL MVD Bias (Multi-Valve Design) which allows you to use octal based 6L6, 5881, KT66, KT88, 6550 in the output stage without adjusting the bias. (Please note you can still use 6V6's which will give you about 15 watts output.)
- Preamp and driver tubes are JJ 12AX7's known for low noise and linearity. You may also use 12AT7's or 12AU7's for different tones and less preamp overdrive.
- Laser Etched Front Faceplate
- Chassis Dimensions - 12"Wx8"Dx2"H
- Weight: 15 lbs
- Power Output - 25 watts @ 8 ohms
- 5AR4 rectifier in place of original 5Y3 for better pick attack and less sag...or you can use a Solid Slate plug-In rectifier for tha Marshall super tight no sag sound.
- IEC three prong grounded power cord connector.
- STANDBY switch to turn off the plate voltage during warm-up.
- Rock solid point-to-point hand wiring using only the best of parts...low noise tubular polypropylenes caps, metal film resistors, ceramic sockets, switchcraft jacks...etc.
- Sweet vintage clean to classic overdrive tones with three different types of distortion depending on whether you are overdriving the preamp, output... or both!
- Tube complement: The amp comes with 3 - 12AX7, 2 - 6L6, 1 - 5AR4
- Type F INPUT
- Type M INPUT
- Type F GAIN
- Type M GAIN
- PRESENCE with EDGE PULL SWITCH
- PILOT LIGHT
- OFF STANDBY POWER SWITCH
- LINE OUT LEVEL CONTROL
- LINE OUT JACK
- SPEAKER OUT JACK
$795.00..... Sale Price $495.00 - Add Cage Upgrade $100.00
1. EFFECTS LOOP - Classic 60's style insertion type Serial Effects Loop with Return Jack (Power Amp In), Send Jack (Preamp Out), and Send Level Control. Add $50.00.
2. EL34/6L6 BIAS SELECTOR SWITCH - Allows you to use either 6L6 or EL34 power output tubes. Add $50.00
3. POWER ATTENUATOR - Built-in power attenuator provides three power levels. 6 - 12 - 25 watts. Add $75.00
4. EXTENDED RANGE 4-8-16 OHM OUTPUT TRANSFORMER - for more tonal range and speaker options. Comes with 4-8-16 ohm speaker selector switch.Add $50.0 0
5. EDGE FOOTSWITCH- adds jack to rear panel for footswitch control on the NNFB EDGE switch. Includes classic heavy duty footswitch with LED. Add $60.00
6. RETRO 6SL7 PREAMP UPGRADE - replaces 12AX7 preamp tubes with vintage 6SL7 "big bottle" tubes for the 40's-50's vintage tones. Add $60.00
7. JCM800 PREAMP - Replaces Plexi preamp with high gain JCM800 preamp. Add $50.00
8. 100 - 240 VOLT POWER TRANSFORMER - for operation outside the USA. Please specify line voltage. Add $55.00
9. VINTAGE STEEL CAGE - steel perforated cage provides protection for tubes and maximum ventilation for long tube life. Includes "easy to carry" Fender style strap handle. Add $115.00
10. CUSTOM CABS AND ENCLOSURES - Please see our Cabinets page for a variety of custom built cabinets and enclosures including head cabs, combo cabs, speaker cabs, rack mount chassis, road cases etc.
RETRO 6SL7 PREAMP UPGRADE
VINTAGE CAGE UPGRADE
Customer Sound Clips, Videos & Reviews
SOUND CLIPS & VIDEOS - We do not post any in-house sound clips or videos of our amps. We leave that to our customers. There are lots of clips and videos on-line and an easy way to find them is to Google Frenzel followed by the amp model number. A few links are shown below:
Reviews and sound clips from "Clyde the Slyde" !
Jim, I was experimenting in my studio this morning with my FRENZEL FM - 5E3 Deluxe Plus. I flipped on the recorder, slipped on my slide and this jumped out of the speakers on the first take. I will use this as an intro for another song I will record soon. Equipment used…Frenzel FM - 5E3 Deluxe Plus using Marshall input ,1x12 speaker cabinet with Celestion vintage 30, Reverend Avenger (semi hollow with 3 strat single pole pickups) customized for slide, Shure 57 microphone , 20’ guitar cable.....Not a single pedal…what an amp!
Jim, The more I play this amp the more I love it. I was cutting a track for my new album this morning and this just slipped out. Feel free to use it on your website. I've been jumpering the two inputs and blending the two. Just a touch of the F-Channel adds the bottom end I love and I crank the M-Channel to keep the mids sweet and punchy. I've beek playing live like this lately and have received a number of comments from folks about how good the tone is. Loud, crisp and clear, cutting through the mix but never too loud. Here's the specs on the clip.
1. 5E3 Frenzel Deluxe using M-Channel and F-Channel jumpered using Y
2. 8 ohm 2x12 Speaker Cabinet with 1 Red Tone Tubby Hemp Cone and 1
Celestion Vintage 30
2. 1972 Gibson SG with DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups
3. Shure 57 Microphone
4. 18' Guitar Cord (No effects)
Clyde's personal testimonial...
Jim's amps are alive! The notes sing, scream or whisper - all depending on
your touch. I've never played a more soulful, musical and responsive
amplifier. The quality is first rate and Jim stands behind his products
110%. You must have one!
For more of Clyde's music, check out his MySpace page at
Sound Clips from J. K. Sullivan
Les Paul Bridge.wma
Les Paul Both.wma
Strat Out of Phase.wma
Frank Gambale YouTube video FM-5E3
Deluxe Plus III YouTube Video - Clean Tone with Strat
Customer Email Reviews: Please check our Customer Reviews page for more reviews and links to reviews. We have listed a few below:
FM-5E3 DP Jim, Just a note to say that the amp you built for me (deluxe plus) is perfect! I mostly play a Tele partscaster with Don Mare pickups. This seams to be the magic combination I have been searching for. The tone is great. It is small and light. It plays well with my pedals. I have installed it in a wood cabinet (photo attached). I did change a few tubes. I have a Phillips 5R4GY in the rectifier and RCA 6072 in the 1st position, amperex 12ax7 in #2 tone, and RCA 12ax7 in the #3 PI. The 6l6 are still the JJ. Anyway thanks for the great work! Alan B. (Texas)
FM-5E3 DP - Dear Jim, You wonderful amp has arrived and has enjoyed many good hours of testing--it passed with flying colors! Thank you for sharing your excellent work with me. I wanted to pass on a few pics of the cabinet I made for it. I love the way it all turned out. Cheers, Ben W. (Florida)
FM-5E3DP3 - Jim, How sweet it is to have a product work so well for the first time that I just wondered why it took so long to discover Frenzel? This first run was coupled with a Tone Tubby Alnico and Celestion V30 which is very stout and reliable and can’t wait to experiment with my favorite vintage drivers. I suppose that your company is sized just as you prefer and that is very respectable but what you are doing (IMO) is possibly the best kept secret in America. Thank you very much to you and your staff for an outstanding product that does everything you advertise at possibly ‘double’ the value if not more when compared to others in your class. James P. ( Indiana)
FM-5E3DP3 Jim (and to everyone on the team), Thank you for building my amp. It arrived the other day and I got to put it through its paces over the weekend. The amp looks and sounds wonderful and I am looking forward to playing through it in the church band. I’m extremely happy with the amp and I wanted to let you all know that. I thought it impossible to get an amp that sounded like it does, with the features it has, let alone at a price that I could afford. Yet, you came through and I was most pleased with your customer service (specifically the very quick responses to my emails).From start to finish, you honor Christ in the way you conduct your business. Thank you very much, Mark R. (Tennessee)
FM-5E3 - Hi Jim, I have to tell you that this has become my main amp even though I kind of bought it as a backup. The Frenzel has become the go to amp for just about everything in the studio, guitar, organs, pianos, mandolins. It is a very versatile amp, from crisp and clean to crunchy, round and full of rich harmonics. Thanks for making a great amp. Kenny P. ( Ontario , Canada)
FM-5E3 DP3 - I've gotta tell you Mr Frenzel - you know a thing or two about making guitar amplifiers. I'd never heard of you or your amps, and I've been on A&M and Polygram records and will be 57 years old in February. Two months ago, I bought one of your FM-5E3-DP3 Deluxe 25 watt chassis used on Ebay - totally on a whim.. I was so impressed I ordered the AC-15 you are currently fabricating within a week. You've real got a gift - thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. Richard "Lefty" Coulson (Michigan).
FM-5E3 DP3 - Jim, I wanted to let you and yours know what a great amp I got. I ordered the FM-5E3 DP3 with KT-77 tubes. This is a great sounding amp. I have not found a "bad" setting on her! I am playing a PRS SE Semi-Hollow with soapbar pickups and this guitar and this amp sound like they were made for each other. I tried some pedals in front of the amp and WOW!!!! I use three pedals. My setup looks like this: Guitar - PlanetWaves tuner - Vintage MXR Distortion + - Carl martin Delay - amp. When I kick on that delay...whew...the tone is three dimensional. And when I punch the distortion pedal on, look out...this bad boy will growl! I am getting everything from serious Fender cleans to some real rock-n-roll distortion and everything in between. And when I pull the NNFB knob - watch out! I am rattling the light fixtures!!!!! What I am trying to say Jim is, I love this amp. Thank you for offering such an affordable and versatile amp! I look forward to using this amp in the worship of my God and Savior Jesus Christ...thanks again brother. Dane R. (Maryland)
FM-5E3 DP3 - Hi Jim, The amp has finally arrived. And I like it very much. I play it over an old 4x12 Fender box. And it has that sound I had hoped for. For my ears it had the broad tone of an old low twin (F-mode) and the Hendrix-sound I have been looking for so long (M). It does it far better than all Marshalls I owned and even better than the two Anniversary’s I still have – without killing my ears. The Fender-channel is really smooth, may be a bit smoother than some of the vintage stuff I had the chance to play on. What I learned instantly: Less gain – more tone. In combination with a tube reverb (I use a Replex by Hughes & Kettner) and a tube distortion for more “speed” (Hot British by Radial) I have all I need. John R. (Germany)
FM-5E3 - Greetings, I purchased one of your 5e3 Deluxe Plus amps a couple of months ago and I thought I would drop you a line and give you my impressions. I currently have an original 64 deluxe reverb, an early Budda PTP Superdrive 30, a PTP Marshall 18 watt and various other amps to compare it to. I must say that I am very impressed with the sound of this amp. The F and M channel thing is a great idea and it works quite well. The amp has a great clean sound on both channels with nice harmonic overtones and the natural distortion on the M channel sounds great. It's not overly high gain but nice. I usually run a Texas Two Step pedal up front for Blues and classic rock stuff. It's become my "go to" amp because it's simple, reliable, lightweight and it sounds great. I'll be looking to your amps in the future. Nice job! Dennis V.
FM-5E3 Hi Jim, At a gig this weekend, I finally got to play my Gretsch G6120M through the HBX-WC30, and that was really, really sweet. What got the attention of everybody, however, was running the keyboard player's Hammond XK-1 through the FM-5E3. It had the throaty sound of a 145 Leslie absolutely nailed. Short of an actual 145/B3 setup, it was as good as you'll get. He ran through one of my Mesa/EV 115 cabs for a stage monitor and lined the amp out through the PA board. The XK-1's onboard vibrato is OK, but Larry usually runs through a Motion Sound Cabinet for that effect. The sound out of the 5E3 was so good that we didn't miss the Motion Sound at all, and Larry loved the size & weight of the amp. He couldn't believe that anything that small could put out the sound that it does. The versatility of the FM-5E3 truly amazes me. It's performed incredibly well with guitar, keyboard, and bass. Jett S. (Oregon)
FM - 5E3 Jim and all the folks at Frenzel Tube Amps: This really is AWESOME! This sounds like the original Deluxe amp I played back in high school in the 70's. Super smooth, great headroom, perfect tone balance all the way up and down the neck, and incredibly easy to get great tone from in just a minute or two of fiddling around......and plugged straight into the amp! This thing sounds so good it's making all my boutique modded pedals sound bad! So I took them out of the chain completely! Now I have truly touch sensitive picking, and I can control the volume and grit just by the way I pick and the way I turn the volume knob! The natural compression is just beautiful, and the responsive feel of the strings turns the guitar into a real art form! I'm tempted to sell my Mesa to raise money for another one of your amps, like the Hot Box Wild Cat 30! Thank You for sending the EL34's, too! AWESOME AMP! AWESOME SOUND! EXCELLENT SERVICE! ABSOLUTELY A GREAT BARGAIN AND WORTH THE WAIT! ABSOLUTELY WORTH SAVING FOR ANOTHER ONE! THANK YOU TONS! Gary S. (NEBRASKA)
Please check the hundreds of positive feedbacks on our amps on eBay. Here are a few on the FRENZEL FM-5E3 Deluxe Plus.
WOW, BEST Amp I've Heard N 35 Years, Thanks Guys Your 1st Class, BUY ONE
Buyer guitarbull ( 59) 7410650400
I have another question......How did you do what every other amp
manufacturer on the planet wants to do? This amp is amazing. I'm not
trying to pigeion-hole your amps, but I always said that I wish I could find
a plexi that was in between the 18 watter, and the 45 watter. This amp can
dial in those tones with ease!!!! (and then some). W.T.
kick ass amp with quality workmanship,the wait was well worth it, thanks Jim
Buyer piledriver101 ( 7 ) 7412646542
Great little amp, very good to do biz with!! Recommended!!
Buyer beatmasterla ( 103) 7400950650
Excellent !!! Amp Sounds Great ! Packed well and safely shipped.
Buyer gigic1961 ( 109) 7394808400
Super Deal! outstanding service, Frenzel amps are first class all the way AAA+++
Buyer caveman3000 ( 13) 7401804847
Great sounding amp and really nice guy......AAAAAA+++++++++++
Buyer shellshock1969 ( 99) 7386417157